Monday, May 16, 2011

Practical Help - How To Change A Flat Tire

Hey Ladies!  Here's an excellent guide on how to CHANGE A FLAT TIRE.  As always, be sure you are in a SAFE PLACE before attempting to do this, and always refer to your car's USER MANUAL.  Many cars, especially in recent years, have additional safety features (such as wheel locks) or other components to prevent theft or further damage to your tires/rims.
IMPORTANT NOTE: I found this out the hard way -- changing your own tire only works if the lug nuts aren't on so tight that you cannot loosen them yourself.  I recently managed to get a large bolt stuck in my rear tire, creating a slow leak.  I was all set to change out my tire out in front of Amanda Cave's house one morning during CARE when I found I could not loosen the lug nuts. Neither could Mr. Neighbor across the street, who kindly wanted to use a sledge hammer (not recommended).
Catherine's husband, Rick (aka resident auto expert), suggested one should ask the mechanics who service the tires to manually tighten the lug nuts, in the event you would need to change a flat yourself.
ANOTHER IMPORTANT NOTE: I ended up getting the bolt removed and the tire plugged at Hampstead Auto Center on Hwy 17.  For this service, they were fast, affordable and very friendly.  AND had toddler toys in the waiting room.  Some other ladies in the ministry have had great experiences with them as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment